Our earth is changing (and not for the good), so we need to do something about it. The depletion of the ozone layer, deforestation and global warming all are gifts from big industry and mass production. Sustainable practices should be adopted to help protect the environment. In this article, we help explain the differences between made-to-order and mass production and how they impact everything around us.
WHAT IS MADE TO ORDER?
Made-to-order means to make a product or an item after receiving an order from a customer or company. Made-to-order ensures that an item is made according to the customer’s specific requirements which ensures higher customer satisfaction. Made-to-order enhances customer satisfaction by allowing them the chance to design things for themselves so that their item fits their specific needs and desires.
Advantages of Made-to-Order
There are many benefits of having something made to order. Here are 4 to consider.
- Customer Satisfaction - After all the requirements from a customer are fulfilled, customer satisfaction is guaranteed. Made-to-order aims to warrant customer satisfaction and are also able to offer revisions when necessary, which helps in building the trust of customers.
- Strengthens Local Economy - When made-to-order (handmade) items like handmade purses are purchased, the local economy thrives as it creates new jobs and wages.
- Environmental Sustainability - The best advantage of made-to-order so far is that it helps in environmental sustainability. Unlike mass production, billions of waste material won’t be thrown into lands as materials are bought only on demand. The machinery is also not used which means less consumption of fuel and electricity.
- Sustainable Fashion - Made-to-order helps in achieving sustainable practices which helps to conserve our environment. It also lets you own unique, one-of-a-kind items like custom-made bracelets, that no one else has. Many fashion lovers are moving towards sustainable fashion products.
Disadvantages of Made-to-Order
- Waiting Time - Made-to-order items take a little longer to make. So if you are in the market for something immediately, this is not something you should consider.
WHAT IS MASS PRODUCTION?
Mass production is commonly known as flow production or continuous production. It means to produce goods in large quantities by just estimating the need for it. Mass production’s main aim is to produce large quantities at the lowest possible cost, all of which are identical to each other.
Advantages of Mass Production
There are a few benefits of Mass production and are listed below:
- Economical benefit - Mass production allows large quantities of goods to be produced at once and thus, reduces the material costs and labor costs.
- Fast production rates - The products produced in mass production are not handcrafted and are made by machines. These machines turn out huge amounts of items at a rapid rate.
Disadvantages of Mass Production
- Fatal for Environment - Mass production is fatal for environment as large amount of toxins and cancerous gases are emitted from these industries which affects environmental sustainability. Raw materials are also wasted because almost 10% of the products are not bought by customers so they are just thrown away. “I only feel angry when I see waste. When I see people throwing away things we could use.” — Mother Teresa
- Unaccommodating to Consumer’s Demands - Customers’ demands change rapidly, and it is quite difficult to accommodate every customer’s demand on a large scale. If the demand of the product is declined suddenly, then all the products produced by mass production will go to waste and the loss can be huge.
- Error in Machinery - If by any chance, there is error in machinery, then the products produced by that machinery would all go to waste and hundreds of thousands of dollars would be wasted, as well as the environmental impact of this waste.
- Unmotivated Staff - By doing repetitive work, the employees become unmotivated and they don’t show any interest in work which results in increased turnover rate.
- Low Quality of Product - The products produced by mass production are lower in quality as compared to handcrafted products. Handmade products are made with the highest of quality and craftsmanship possible.
As you can see, mass production involves producing large quantity of goods without any consistent demand; whereas made-to-order means to produce goods only upon consumer demand. Made-to-order is obviously better as it helps in environmental stability and gives the customer the best quality and most uniqueness possible. Mass production results in thousands of plastic bottles, razors or other plastic products being thrown away every day which is hazardous for our environment.
In conclusion, if you are fashion lover, then made-to-order makes your personal style shine through, because you can design your own clothes or jewelry or purses. Handcrafted jewelry will help save you time trying to find the right jewelry for your outfits. You can do so much with made-to-order products and, at the same time, help in environmental stability as well. One of the best benefits of Made-to-Order clothes, jewelry or any other accessory, is that you will have your own unique item and no one in the world will look like you.
If you like information like this, you will love “Living the Custom Life” newsletter to help us all kick ass at whatever we do. It’s free, monthly, and you can subscribe here.