Trends are changing and many people are searching for truly handcrafted alternatives. Here is some information that will help you figure out what is a handmade product and a mass-produced product.
Difference Between Handcrafted And Mass-Produced:
“The hand is the window to the mind” - Immanuel Kant.
Handcrafting skills have been passed on from generation to generation. There is more value and meaning to a handmade product in today’s society than mass-produced goods.
A pot made of clay and handcrafted by skilled hands includes the best clay and handmade glazes. It is “thrown” on a wheel, turned and shaped by hand, relying on the artist’s eye to create a pot to perfection. In a factory, a bowl of clay is mass-produced where a pre-measured mixture of clay gets poured into a mold. The container is not touched by any hand except for those that will ship it in a box.
Artists spend hours and hours to produce one piece of their craft. All of their blood and sweat go into perfecting their craft. The maker scrutinizes his handmade goods, unlike mass-produced items. Artists have an eye for detail and a desire to improve their skills. If a customer buys their product, that customer knows they are getting a high quality, unique item.
In the case of mass-production, factory workers do not put any thought or passion into making the goods. The machines make a product multiple times, and there is no uniqueness about them; just quantities of the same thing.
Some mass-produced goods cost less, but do not offer the quality or uniqueness that handmade items do.
Here are 6 ways to know you are getting a handcrafted item:
- High quality: One of the main giveaways of buying handcrafted goods is their quality. Artisans take their time and skills to produce the best possible piece they can. Pride, care, and talent goes into everything they make.
- Uniqueness: If you are looking for a unique gift, handmade gifts are the best choice. You can gift a pair of handmade earrings or any handcrafted jewelry to your friends and family. This is a great way to show someone how much they mean to you.
- Trust: Small businesses or artists, sometimes offer a certificate of authenticity with their goods. They may also sign their name someway on their pieces, so you will be able to know who made it and how to purchase additional items.
- Trend-setters: You are shopping, and your eye catches some chic and unique earrings which you have not seen before? There’s a good chance they might be handcrafted. Small artists tend to stay ahead of trends. They are quick to create new and unique items.
- Customization: Probably the best part about buying handmade gifts is that they can be easily customized. You can request the artist to make the gift a little different, according to your taste. Customization is not something you can do with mass-produced goods.
- Environmentally Friendly: Handcrafted gifts are environmentally friendly. There is zero to little waste when it comes to producing them. During the making of handmade goods, there is zero emission of harmful gases. Everything gets recycled, or artisans make their pieces from recycled stuff. There is less pollution and waste as well.
Buying handcrafted gifts is the best way to show someone how much they mean to you. The thought and care put into creating them adds to their uniqueness and shows craftsmanship. So shop local, buy sustainable, made in the USA items.
If you like information like this, you will love “Living the Custom Life” newsletter to help us all kick ass at whatever we do. It’s free, monthly, and you can subscribe here.